Opening our doors
The San opened its doors in 1903 as ‘Sydney Sanitarium’ - a small, 70-bed hospital in Sydney’s leafy Wahroonga offering general medical and surgical services. Our focus was on recuperation and wellness, emphasising a healthy lifestyle. Patients were encouraged to follow a strict regimen of fresh air, exercise, and a nutritious vegetarian diet. By the 1920s, we were also known for our maternity services.
Achieving many milestones
In the 1970s, we led the way with ground-breaking heart services. In the 1990s we became the first private 24/7 emergency care department on Sydney’s North Shore, and we have also been a highly-regarded teaching hospital for many years.
Where we are today
The San is now NSW’s largest private hospital, offering comprehensive acute surgical, medical and obstetric care, as well as supportive diagnostic and Allied Health services. At the heart of everything we do is an unwavering commitment to providing remarkable care, and a team of experts working together to deliver nothing but the best.