Clinical Specialties & Services
Facilities & Technology
The San has long been recognised as a leader in cardiovascular health care. This is largely due to its commitment to constantly improve facilities and embrace the latest technology, as well as its desire to recruit and retain the most remarkable doctors and invest in the ongoing training of its staff.
The San has an enviable record of great patient outcomes and boasts a highly skilled team with a multidisciplinary approach to cardiovascular and cardiothoracic surgery and care.
As the first private hospital in NSW to have a fully-fledged clinical school on site, we are fortunate to have access to the latest innovations, technology and research.
Our operating theatres and soon-to-be-completed hybrid theatre, as well as our cardiac catheterisation laboratories are equipped with sophisticated technology that ensures all procedures are carried out smoothly. In addition, our cardiac intensive care unit provides the necessary specialised and critical care needed following surgery or interventional procedures.
Across the hospital you can also make use of all the other facilities, including specialised radiology services and rehabilitation.
State-of-the-art Facilities at a Glance
- Three Cardiovascular Catheterisation Laboratories
- Cardiovascular Operating Theatres - allocated and equipped with sophisticated technology that ensures cardiovascular surgery procedures are carried out smoothly
- Cardiac Intensive Care - 30 bed Intensive Care Unit (ICU) and 11 bed Coronary Care Unit (CCU) provides the necessary specialised and critical care needed following cardiac surgery or interventional procedures
- Pulmonary Hypertension Clinic
- San Radiology - specialised cardiac radiology services including:
- Cardiac CT - Ct coronary angiography and calcium score
- Cardiac and vascular ultrasound including Trans oesophageal echocardiography (TOE), Trans thoracic echocardiography (TTE), Pericardial effusion aspiration, and arterial or venous assessment of upper and lower limb, extracranial and abdominal vasculature
- Cardiac Rehabilitation - to assist patients with their recovery, and for those who want to maximise their cardiovascular health and reduce their cardiac risk factors
Technology & Innovation
From the outset, our cardiovascular program has continually reviewed and adopted cutting-edge cardiac technology and techniques to support improved treatment and outcomes for patients. Sydney Adventist Hospital continues to be a leader in the field of coronary artery grafting embracing new innovations in technology and cardiac services.
In the 1980’s, the San was one of the first private hospitals to offer angioplasty and stenting, a treatment for coronary heart disease that does not require open-heart surgery. Sydney Adventist Hospital continues as an established centre of excellence performing hundreds of these procedures each year using the latest technology. Since 1991 our cardiac surgeons have been implanting a device known as an Automatic Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator into appropriate patients with heart rhythm problems. This device returns the heart to a normal rhythm when needed. Since the late 1990s San cardiac surgeons have performed the off-pump coronary artery bypass procedure. This procedure is open-heart surgery performed on a beating heart.
Sydney Adventist Hospital recently installed the cardiac-capable Siemens FORCE CT Scanner (384-slice, Dual Source). This Siemens FORCE CT produces extremely high quality and resolution images of the heart and its blood supply in less than 5 seconds. In 2006 Sydney Adventist Hospital was the first hospital in Australia to install the world’s most advanced body CT scanner – a machine that non-invasively scans faster than a beating heart to diagnose cardiovascular disease - allowing doctors to identify people at risk of a heart attack even before showing any symptoms. Find out more about San Radiology's world-class Cardiac CT service.