The San’s Museum is housed in “Bethel” which was built in 1915 as the Maternity Labour and Delivery cottage. It is now the oldest building on the estate. It is located next to the Foundation Building and opposite the tennis courts. The Museum is named after Merritt Kellogg who drew up the plans, and was the building supervisor, of the 1903 San building. Merritt was the older half-brother of the famed Dr John Harvey Kellogg.
The Museum has framed photos, surgical instruments, medical equipment, and 2 mannequins in nurses’ uniforms from the past. There are also clocks, carpentry tools, nursing certificates, Patients’ Lounge fireplace, Dining Room cutlery and crockery. In storage are 6,000 photos and archival material from every San department including the School of Nursing.
Outside the Museum is the Nurses’ Memorial Fountain.
Visit the Museum
There are no regular opening hours. To arrange a visit to the Museum contact the Curator, Michael Rigby on 02 9487 9639.