Clinical Specialties & Services
Cardiac Catheterisation Laboratory
The three Cardiac Catheterisation Laboratories (CCL) at the San utilise state of the art equipment and are run by specialist staff. These labs are used for the treatment and diagnosis of Australia’s most deadly single disease, coronary artery disease (CAD) and other structural heart diseases. These labs are also used for the diagnosis and treatment of conduction defects of the heart's electrical system.
Coronary catheterisation angiography remains the gold standard in assessment of coronary artery disease and here at the San angioplasty and stent treatments may also be performed for the treatment of CAD after careful assessment by your cardiologist.
The technology & facilities at CCL cater for cardiac procedures including:
- Coronary angiography
- Interventional coronary angioplasty and stent procedures for coronary artery disease (CAD)
- Intra-vascular ultrasound (IVUS) used intra-operatively to correlate and assess CAD such as ostial lesions, hard to visualise lumen segments and queried re-stenosis post intervention
- Permanent pacemaker insertion and checks under local or general anaesthetic
- Defibrillator insertions including biventricular defibrillator insertion under local or general anaesthetic
- Cardiac electrophysiology studies (EPS) and Radio-frequency Ablation (RFA) of arrhythmias under local or general anaesthetic
- Implantable loop recorders
- Peripheral vascular angiography and angioplasty
- Carotid and renal angiography and angioplasty
- Patent foramen ovale (PFO) closures and atrial septal defect (ASD) (hole in the heart closures)
- Stress testing
- Cardioversion and echocardiography services including Transoesophageal echocardiography (TOE) and Transthoracic echocardiography (TTE)
- Arryhthmia treatment
Our CCL services include:
- 18 day-stay beds staffed by cardiac trained nurses
- Rapid access to Coronary Care and Intensive Care units (a further 23 beds) and access to operating theatres and on call cardiothoracic and vascular surgeons for high risk patients
- A 24 hour on call service is provided to patients presenting to Emergency Care requiring urgent treatment for suspected heart attacks (acute myocardial infarction - AMI)
- Urgent non coronary interventional procedures such as permanent pacemaker and temporary pacing wire insertions. This service is also available to patients already admitted to the San.